Saturday, March 7, 2009

Splitting up the boys



We've been having kind of a tense time as a family, lately. Not me and Matt, and not the baby of course, it's really just the boys. The one who likes to squish the baby and the one who likes to make his brother shriek (he really does, he told me so) have been making it pretty hard to just hang out, family-style, and not feel like you'd rather be boiled alive in a vat filled with ravenous piranhas. Or something like that.

Matt and I got to go out on a date last night (woo! hoo!) and we had a total D'OH moment. Nobody's really been getting any one-on-one time with either parent. We've done it in the past, we've written it on the calendar recently and not followed through... it can be hard to make the time, but I think it makes a big difference.

My other D'oh moment was today when I was out alone with Jack. I like Jack. I know, can you believe it? I actually like my own kid. Jack is awesome! I love spending time with him. We had a great time. Why have I not been doing this all along again?

We went out to coffee (he had coffee, I had a chocolate milk) and then on to the thrift store, where we scored an electric typewriter. It had occurred to me a few months ago that I would love to have one of these again, and then of course I spotted one on Soulemama, her son has a robin's egg blue one, oh how I lust for that one. But this one will do in the meantime. Of course the boys loved it and I couldn't believe how visceral it was for me. I was having serious flashbacks, the sounds, the effects, and even the smell. I guess I really love typewriters.

I mean, I do love typewriters. My dad was a journalist before he had us. There were two typewriters downstairs, not really in use except for me to play around on, the manual and the electric. I had my own newspaper that I typed out painstakingly on the manual, it was called the Wild Bugle and I started when I was 8 or so. I'll have to dig up a copy of that and put it on this blog, it's pretty cool. Featuring such ground breaking news as. "Mama Kitty sure has been acting frisky lately... spring must be just around the corner!"

No comments: